Tuesday 1 November 2011

Noosa Triathlon

First up, I knew this year it wasn't going to happen for me in regards to getting the result that I had been hoping/dreaming of all year. It came down to a combination of not doing much run training due to my stress fracture earlier this season and also only just getting back to a reasonable amount of swim and bike training kms. I really just was racing for fun this year and to see what I can pull out of the hat with minimal training.

I had an amazing start in the swim and completely avoided the carnage that formed behind me by sitting in 3rd (see photo below) for around 600m. From there it went backwards for me and I just couldn't settle into a rhythm and get comfortable and unfortunately dropped off the first swim pack. I swam the remaining swim portion stuck in no mans land between the 1st and 2nd swim packs.
I rode the first 10km solo still stuck between packs until finally getting caught by the 2nd bike pack which included multiple Ironman World Champion Chris McCormack.
In our group it only seemed to be myself, Macca and Paul Ambrose willing to do any work trying to bridge the gap back up to the leaders. We must have stung the legs of most the the group as after the turn around we dropped many of the riders who couldn't keep up with the pace being set. We also caught some of the riders who dropped from the first pack on the road just after the bike turnaround which was good motivation to keep pushing hard.
I knew I wasn't going to be able to run well enough to be a factor and decided to call it a day after 2km into the run. I still have a lot of work to do training wise until I am able to really be race fit so pushing it too hard just wasn't the smartest move for me at this stage of the year. Better to be safe than sorry!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post about Noosa triathlon..... I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.....Thank you and good luck....

    ReplyDelete