Sunday 6 September 2015

Airlie Beach Sprint Triathlon – 1st

This event is one that I really look forward to year after year. The amazingly scenic course as well as the fact that this year marked my 6th win at the event means that the Airlie Beach Triathlon is one of the most enjoyable weekends away on my triathlon race calendar.

Race Day:
This year the 750-meter swim course was a non-wetsuit affair which didn’t bother me too much as I actually prefer non wetsuit swims, especially over the 750 meter swim distance. The water temperature was perfect and the clear ocean waters made for a fast swim. With a beach start I quickly hit the gas and settled into a good tempo once I hit the water. I emerged from the swim leg with a healthy lead and after a slower than usual transition I headed out onto the bike leg. 
My plan was to push a solid tempo over the two lap bike course paying special attention to the climbs on each lap and working hard up the hills.
Coming back into transition after the bike leg I set out for the 5km, two lap run course. The run course was truly stunning winding its way around the costal boardwalks and down toward the harbor. I enjoyed every step of the 5km run leg and reached the finish line in just under 1 hour overall.

It was a great feeling to take out my 6th title at this event and a good test of the legs before what is to come. Next weekend I will be racing Ironman 70.3 Sunshine Coast, which is a race I have been targeting all season.


No comments:

Post a Comment