Monday 23 April 2012

Dirt N Dust Triathlon 2012 - 1st

The Dirt N Dust Triathlon held in outback Queensland is one of my favourite races and one that I usually kick my season off with (this was my 4th year racing at the event). It is a really unique event with great press coverage as well as past winners such as Brad Beven (arguably Australia's greatest male triathlete), Loretta Harrop (Olympic Silver Medalist), Aaron Farlow (2011 Ironman UK winner) and this year Olympic hopeful and my training partner Emma Jackson.

The race is held in the small town of Julia Creek which is located between Mt Isa and Townsville and it really is the middle of nowhere. After winning the event in 2011 I was invited back as defending champion and really wanted to keep the title for 2012.

This year I was lucky enough to have Emma Jackson, coach Stephen Moss, his wife Leesa and their son Charlie come out to the event with me.

Race day showed conditions typical of the event with scorching heat and a nice little headwind on the cycle leg to make the race just that much tougher.

The 800 metre swim is held in a muddy creek with surprisingly cold water then its onto the bike for 25km back into town. Once you're off the bike its just 3 laps on the run totalling 5km's, which coupled with the outback heat and winds make for a tough race.

I attacked the race hard from the start putting in a fast swim and strong bike (averaging just over 42kph) on my new S-WORKS SHIV which was crazy fast out there even with having to ride into the head wind. On the run I ran within myself knowing that I had built up a big lead on the swim/bike and really enjoyed the support from the crowd down the finish shoot walking the last hundred meters or so to take my 2nd Dirt N Dust Triathlete win in as many years.

This is what you get to look at for 25km on the bike leg.
The swim leg
 Warming up with Emma Jackson
 Last minute bike tune up thanks to little Charlie
 Emma Jackson and I getting the bikes ready in T1
Photos from the bike leg 
 Riding back through town
 Onto the run
That afternoon the event organisers along with RACQ organised to take Emma and I to the horse races via helicopter.
 Doing my best 'Top Gun' impression
 Emma Jackson
 Co-Pilots
Video of the take off


 The town of Julia Creek
 After the flight we headed into the races and lunch with the 'red claw' lobsters on the menu.
 Horse races
 That night I attended the 'PBR Bull Ride' event. These guys can take some hard hits and there was quite a few hospital runs I was told. Makes us triathletes look pretty soft really.


No comments:

Post a Comment