Sunday 13 April 2014

Dirt N Dust Triathlon - 1st (4 time winner)

The Dirt N Dust Triathlon is one of the most unique races in Australia if not the world. This year I came into the event as a 3 time winner and on the hunt for title number 4 in as many years. This event has crowned champions such as Brad Bevan, Loretta Harorp and Emma Jackson so to be racing for the most wins in the events 20 year history was something special and not to be taken lightheartedly. This year the Bondi Rescue lifeguards added a lot of added media coverage as well as an upcoming 1hr TV program of the event.

How your bikes are taken to T1 which is 25kms from T2.
For those who don't know last year (click here to read my 2013 race report) there was a real lack of water to swim in. This year the swim was held in a very full creek which made for a much better swim leg than last year. Although looking very muddy the water was very fresh and on a very well marked course with a lane rope down the entire length of the swim course. Equipped with my HUUB swim skin I hit the water feeling good and ready to swim fast.

The flat water meant that I could quickly find a good rhythm and settle into my race. After rounding the end buoy I headed back upstream where I could get a good view of my gap to the next competitor. I hit transition with about 30 seconds on the next competitor and wasted no time getting onboard my new S-Works Shiv. The wind this year was totally brutal out on the bike course. The wind was a mix between a strong head wind with gusts coming from the right side every so often. I found it very hard just to hang onto the aero bars and had a few scary moments when the wind really started to get fierce. The tropical cyclone hitting the top east coast of Australia the same day seemed to be the culprit from all reports. After battling the winds I hit the run feeling pretty spent. With the ride being one straight road into town there was no respite from the windy conditions so in someways it felt good to swap the bike for a set of run shoes.
The temperature was scorching and with minimal shade I was grabbing drinks at every chance I got through the aid stations. The run is essentially 3 laps of the towns main street with what seems like the entire town cheering you on and a big band right in the centre of it all blaring out some country music covers. I kept pushing the pace during the run and was very glad to hit the finish line in 1st place.
Having raced this event 6 years ago for the first time against the greatest triathlete in Australia's history, Brad Bevan (and getting beaten by the legend) I felt pretty chuffed to take out 4 titles in as many years at one of Australia's toughest and most unique triathlons. This year was the 20th running of this event and to say I have won it 4years running is very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment