Wednesday 11 September 2013

Hy Vee 5150 Championships – 22nd

 Hy-Vee 5150 Championships was a race on my radar all year long. A great stepping stone before my battle at the 70.3 World Championships the week later and of course an opportunity to race for a piece of the $500,000 on offer.

I left Australia and flew into Vegas before driving to St George (2 hours away) to spend the week prior trying to recover from the jetlag and get use to the heat. Once again a big thank you to the Johnson family for going completely above and beyond to make my travel and stay while in the USA amazingly easy.

I left St George on the Thursday before the race and with a delayed flight out of Vegas, I ended up taking an extra 10 hours and 3 flights to get to Des Moines. Another downer was the fact that my new Specialized Shiv wasn’t able to keep up with my flight changes and therefore did not arrive until Friday night.

Race pack waiting at the hotel
 View from my room... not bad

The days before the race I spent my time doing some light swimming and running (no bike), driving over the course and of course catching up on sleep! The temp was HOT in Des Moines and close to 40 degrees C however waking on race day I was greeted with heavy rain and strong winds causing the race organisation to delay the race start. Lucky enough the rain and wind cleared quickly which only meant a 1 hour delayed start time.

Lining up on the start line being ranked 8th meant that I had the opportunity to start right alongside of some of the stronger swimmers (Russian of course). This meant that I was quickly up the front getting dragged alongside the powerhouse swimmers. The swim felt very controlled and I didn’t really have to exert much energy to stay inside the top ten. 
After a quite transition I headed out onto the bike course and positioned myself up towards the front. The pace was pretty quick right from the first mile and I really struggled to keep up. The high speeds (50-55kph) along the flat sections were quicker than what I was able to hold which meant I dropped back into the 2nd bike group. Unfortunately at 30km I dropped from that group as well. It was pretty disappointing being that I usually consider myself a stronger rider however I keep pushing and hit T2 just off the 2nd bike pack. After a quick T2 change as I hit the run course feeling quite strong and passed several athletes within the first half of the run. After that I couldn’t quite push as hard as I would have liked and only passed another 2 athletes on the homeward stretch. I came home in 22nd which was somewhat disappointing result wise however with my major focus being 70.3 World Championships I was pretty happy with where my body was at.


Heading into the race I was ranked 8th on the 5150 World Ranking Points and finishing 22nd at this 5150 championship race in my first season of non-drafting racing is something I am really proud off. With another season or two I have no doubt in my mind that I will be right up there fighting for a podium spot.


Next up Vegas 70.3 World Championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment