Monday 13 November 2017

IRONMAN 70.3 Cebu - 13th

To me, IRONMAN 70.3 Cebu is one of the best IRONMAN 70.3 events anywhere in the world. The location is amazingly beautiful and the crowd support on the course is hard to believe with huge numbers of locals watching and cheering on the athletes. I have had some of my best IM70.3 results at the event including a 2nd place as well as 3rd when it also doubled as the 2016 Asia-Pacific Championships. 

Race Day:
To keep things simple, this was one of my most disappointing 'performances' at any event while racing as a professional athlete. The day started out well as I exited the water in equal first place and then started the ride with Tim Reed and Ryan Fisher in a lead trio. For whatever reason it was only 5kms into the bike leg where my body just refused to respond to any effort at all. I struggled big time throughout the 90km ride and then proceed to walk/jog the majority of the final half marathon. There were many times where I thought about a DNF however no matter how terrible the race was going I refused to DNF. One thing that was always in the back of my mind is that I was going to cross the line no matter how long it took in respect for all those out there racing as well as to honour the support that the race organisers give the athletes who race in Cebu. This was one of the toughest days mentally and physically that I have experienced while racing and unfortunately no real positives to take away from the race except for a lot of motivation to move forward. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment