Wednesday 3 February 2016

Hell of the West Triathlon (2KM/80KM/20KM) – 1st

For the last 3 years I have begun my season with what is dubbed as one of the hardest long course triathlons in Australia, the ‘Hell of the West Triathlon’. The race is known as such a tough race due to the often extreme heat and outback roads which provide little relief from the often brutal winds and make riders feel like a jockey aboard a bull at a rodeo with the rough road surface during the bike leg. The 2km swim, 80km ride and 20km run is a good challenge and has seen Pete Jacobs and Luke McKenzie as previous winners with Luke McKenzie holding the course record.

I have really changed my training over the last few months with a more strategic approach designed to improve on my weaknesses with the aim of becoming a much stronger athlete. With this different approach came a nervousness to see how I would translate this new training into a race performance. With a 2nd in 2015 & a 1st in 2014 I had some good benchmarks to gauge a 2016 performance by.   

Race Day:
The down and back river swim provided a fast first stretch with the current and then a hard fought battle against the current on the return journey. In previous years I have been able to get a good gap over the rest of the field. However this year I was unable to establish a solo lead out of the water despite leading for the entire swim leg and reaching dry land first. In tow were 3 other of the pre race favorites which meant a good group went onto the bike leg together. 
With an early surge the group was quickly down to just three athletes which included Giles Clayton, Michael Fox and myself. The out and back cycle course, despite being flat is quite taxing over a rough road surface meaning that you really need to consistently keep the power down to maintain a high speed. On the outward trip the three of us shared the pace making. Giles was riding very strongly and Michael really put the hammer down particularly on the homeward journey. 
Photo: FinisherPix 
With around 10km left to ride I came to the front and put in a big surge to establish a gap which I committed to extending all the way back to transition. Going out onto the run I managed to build up a nice 1minute 45second lead which I planned to extend during the first run lap. I was able to settle into a good rhythm quite quickly holding a solid tempo. With the 3 lap run course I could see my lead extending over my competitors at each of the turn around points. After the second lap my lead had extended out to just over 5 minutes and I maintained a good tempo throughout the last lap of the run unaware that I was so close to the course record set by Luke McKenzie. It was a really great feeling to run down the finish shoot to win the 25th anniversary of the ‘Hell of the West Triathlon’ and be just 36 seconds shy of the course record set by Luke McKenzie. One consolation was that I managed to break the bike course record also set by Luke McKenzie in 2010.
Photo: Wayne Pratt  

My performance was something that I was really proud of and I honestly felt solid all day out there racing. With this being the third time in as many years that I have kicked off my year with this event the times were the quickest I have ever produced on this course while still feeling like I was racing well in control and not having to go into the red zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment